Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nursery

This is Preston after church on Sunday. His face is a mess from his church snacks and he looks pretty tired, doesn't he?

So, I have a little bit of a struggle lately...Preston is old enough to go to nursery but my struggle is he's SOOOO much smaller than everyone there and can't do things that some of them can. For instance, he hasn't learned to sit in a chair like they do at snack time or color. He just wants to eat the crayons. Or drink out of a regular cup by himself. I took him a couple weeks ago and I walked away for one second and he had fallen out of his chair and the chair had falled on top of him. They were doing bubbles with this big bubble machine and all the kids were running around popping them and Preston totally got trampled. He eats slower than the other kids and when they're done they want Preston's fruit snacks. It just seems to be a big struggle for me to take him when these things are happening. I know they may seem like small things but I just don't think he's ready for nursery. On the other hand he will not sit through Sunday school. We end up in the hall anyway. What to do...

2 comments:

Michaelangelo said...

We didn't start Cade in nursery until he was 2 and a half-- put him in there just long enough to get him used to the other kids before he started Sunbeams. He just didn't seem ready to us- he doesn't like the noise and chaos of a bunch of kids running around, so the couple of times we tried before that he just hated it. It was a struggle, but he learned to sit well in RS and Sunday School-- we armed ourselves with books, color books and crayons, quiet toys, etc. and spent plenty of time out in the hall until he got used to it. Now he sits very well and is the "best" sunbeam in his class. So, don't be afraid to just keep Preston with you for awhile until he is ready and you are too. :)

Natalie Sue said...

I totally hear ya! I've been trying to prep Jayden for nursery, since he is now 18 months old, but he's a little smaller for his age. When he's with the three year olds, he gets pushed down all the time. He also can't drink from a cup yet, and he eats the crayons too!! I have been trying to decide if he is ready. I agree that each kid is different. We didn't even take Jayden to nursery last week cause he fell asleep anyway. Maybe I will see what it is like next Sunday, but I'm just not sure if he is ready...It would be nice, since we have other babies to take care of, but we shall see!