Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Grocery shopping

So, I've been complaining a lot about grocery shopping and how expensive food is. It seems like I go to the store and spend all this money and it's gone so fast. Well...I spent hours clipping coupons, scouring the ads and planning my route. I tried to plan my meals around what was on sale and use coupons that really were useful and not just because I had a coupon. I don't think coupons really are that great of a deal when generic is usually cheaper even with the coupon savings. Anyway, I ended up going to TWO grocery stores because they had different sales that I thought were pretty good. I got most of my groceries at Smiths and then ventured to Albertsons where I got 4/$5 Prego, 1.99/lb ground beef (really good deal!!) 20/$8 yoplait yogurts, Stouffers Lasagna for $5.99 (anyone who buys this would agree that's a steal!). Then I got a free bag of candy and a free roll of Bounty Paper Towels. My total savings was $43.69!!!!!!! That's not including what I saved at Smiths!! I guess it pays to research and plan before you go to the store.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Great job Jenny! Clipping coupons and finding good deals is such a great idea.
We don't have any "normal" stores here. No Smiths, Albertsons, nothing. There are all these stores that are new to us, and they are all expensive. Oh well. Wisconsin does offer a program where they will give you free money every month for groceries if you are poor. Thanks taxpayers!

Natalie Sue said...

Wow! That is a good deal! Good job!

Lolo said...

wow. I need to do that. Will you teach me how?