Friday, October 24, 2008

HOW did I save that much??

Well...here in Nevada they send a mailer with grocery store ads. I USED to throw them away but I started looking at them and marking down what I thought were good deals and saving the coupons (even though I only used one). Watch closely with coupons because sometimes the generic is cheaper than using the coupon. After I wrote down what I thought were good deals on things I usually get I decided which store had the best deals. Albertsons just happened to have the most stuff that week. They had a coupon for if you spent over $25 you got free paper towels and if you bought two stouffers lasagnas at $5.99 each you got a free bag of candy. I happen to like Stouffers lasagna and they are normally like $10 each. I made sure I made a list of things so I didn't forget what was on sale. I checked the normal price to make sure I was getting a good deal as well. Really, I just studied the ads and it really added up! It was so fun and rewarding to see the money come off after they had rung everything up!! Watch closely for the ones that you HAVE to buy the amount they want you to buy to get the good savings. Sometimes they make you buy 4/$5 to get the discount. I got Prego sauce 4/$5 which IS a good deal so I bought 4. Anyway, I saw this lady on Oprah that inspired me to try this. She claims you can cut your grocery bill in half if you do what she does. Go here to read her free online book that really helped me, although I didn't do everything that she does.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There are TONS of ladies in my ward who do the coupon thing and they are coupon-believers as well! I haven't started it yet because I've been swamped with school and pregnancy but I really need to jump on that bandwagon. Another tip: beer coupons. Apparently, a friend of mine said if you walk through the beer aisle, they have coupons for all sorts of things ($10 off meat products and so forth) but most people in Utah ignore them or don't know about them because they will not walk down the beer aisle. I recommend wearing baggy clothes, a large Carmen Sandiego type hat, and sunglasses so no one recognizes you "pilfering" the beer coupons. :)

Natalie Sue said...

Love good deals. And love saving money. I need to start doing more of that.

lexi said...

There is a website: www.grocerygame.com that does all the work for you. They have a program that looks through the adds and matches it with coupons from the Sunday paper and tells you what to buy when and what to stock up on--I have saved a ton using this!!!